Hello Guys and Gals and welcome to the first iteration of BMW Mods N Blogs! Today we will be talking about the subwoofer and Bavsound speaker installation we did this past year in our track support, auto-x tosser, family hauler, daily-driver E46 Touring!
Being that this is a car we spend A LOT of time in, we wanted the car to be comfortable and engaging whether it be as a drivers car or just a road trip cruiser. One way to address the old, worn, 20 year old factory sound system was to bring it up to the current decade and a full Stage 1 Bavsound kit addressed that problem immediately. We had been looking at this kit for some time and for the price and quality of the speakers, there probably isn’t a better option out there. The kit included the 6 speakers in front, 2 in the rear seats and 2 in the very back where all the fun hauling stuff takes place.
Install was very simple and straight forward, and having all the speakers be plug an play made the install rather quick in terms of swapping the speakers. As some of you may know, the speakers in the hatch are somewhat of a pain to get to, but the job is doable one way or another.
Here is a good write up from someone in Europe who did a speaker upgrade on an E46 Touring. We used this write up as the base for doing our install, but used some old fashion Frank flavor on the execution of the job. Especially the 2nd time around when we got to installing the Skar Audio Sub.
A few months after the Bavsound upgrade we finally come to our senses and decided to pull the trigger on the sub install… or maybe this was the opposite of our sesnes?… Huh…
We wanted to keep the practicality of a wagon while still having a good thumpin’ sub, so we bought the Basser sub enclosure, but there was a catch. Being this is a German car, and all the goodies are in Europe, that means sometime you need to source parts from the EU. Parts like the ZHP CSL Splitter, ZHP touring rear bumper and this Basser enclosure from Poland.
When we got the 10″ sub we found out quickly that there was a fitment issue. The speaker wouldn’t fully sit into the enclosure. Many hours later and a lot of cutting later… we found out that the issue wasn’t inside the enclosure… it was the opening to it. We had clearanced the inside of the enclosure and ended up having some more air space for the sub, so it all worked out for the better in the end, but boy was it a head scratcher! The design of the sub and lack of holes available made us have to get very creative when it came to installing the terminal for the power and ground.
After all of that tom foolery took place we finally got to ripping the car apart and taking care of the wiring. We originally had planned to put the amp where the factory cd changer lived, but eventually came to the conclusion that we had a better, more stealthy option and opted for it. The wiring itself wasn’t too difficult, but we had trouble getting the sub to power up and get sound. Good thing a handful of months ago when we did the stereo upgrade we also got a Line Output Converter that was exactly what we needed when it came time for the sub. We had to splice into the rear speakers in order to get sound to the sub, and man was it rewarding hearing the Wubz!
When the time came for final install we wanted to car to look neat and professional, so we opted to keep the original tray compartment and modify both the compartment and the sub enclosure so that the fit was perfect. Unfortunately we couldn’t keep the spare tire in back, but in the end it doesn’t matter since we have 330 brakes and the spare wont even fit over the calipers now.
The wubz are wubby. The sound is crisp. The craftsmanship is perfect. Most of all, the entire sub enclosure can easily be removed and installed in about 10 seconds for Auto-X shenanigans or other needs.